Make Handcrafted Card Knock-offs

Everyone loves the look of original, detailed, handcrafted cardsBut unless they are very simple, it's impractical for most of us to replicate all the steps to make a card for everyone on our Holiday list.  So here's a solution:


Create a wonderfully detailed original piece of "card art." 

Rubber Stamps: main vintage image by Stampa Rosa; Sentiment by Inkadinkado
I created several versions. Couldn't help myself. 
{Love the vintage stamp used for the main image.}


Then electronically scan your original work...


Lay it out for printing. 
Print onto good, glossy paper.


Cut out the image rectangles...





...and adhere them to your card blanks. 
Fancy it up a simple notch by adhering a background paper and then layering your printed image on top, like I did here.


Wow, it's fast and easy!



The scan captures all the detail and depth of your original work. See the shadows? The snowflakes look dimensional.




Rubber Stamps: pointing finger by River City Rubber Works
And look at the missed stitches. Looks authentic!



Voila! You can now share your original work with all the people you care about! And without the bulk, they are easy to mail.


You can frame the original handcrafted card for holiday decor.

Keep it, or give it as a special gift. 



Now you're convinced it's worth handcrafting a card, right? 

So take a look at the next post:
10 techniques for handcrafted cards.


In the meantime, if you want to make simple cards with high impact...
try aluminum foil!  More details *here.*


Click for another example *here.*

{Please note that if you are using a rubber stamped image in your work, Angel Policies permit this type of reproduction only when you're making cards for personal use and giving them away. You may not sell these cards.}




Be sure to join the party!

{I host a linky party every Wednesday. More info *HERE.*  I'm sharing Handcrafted Card Knock-offs with these fine folks, whose links open on ~ Sunday:  Sew Darned CraftyShaken TogetherIt's Party TimeTwigg StudiosI Should Be Mopping The FloorMaking Monday MarvelousBrassy AppleCraftomaniacAlderberry HillUnder the Table & DreamingMaking the World Cuter ; MondaySkip to my Lou Rustic PigCherished BlissSugar Bee CraftsTip Junkie's Tip Me TuesdaySalt TreeTuesdayNot Just a HousewifeCarolyn's HomeworkElizabeth & Co., The DIY Dreamer,  Savvy Southern StyleWhat we Wore & MadeUncommonGingersnap CraftsThe NY Melrose FamilyToday's Creative Blog ; WednesdayI Gotta Create! ,  All Star Block PartyThe 36th AvenueLive-Laugh-RoweHandy Man Crafty WomanThe Trendy Treehouse ; ThursdayAt the Picket FenceMy Repurposed LifeFrugal GirlsShabby Nest,  Romantic HomeFrench County CottageStuff & Nonsense ; FridaySerenity NowFunky Junk InteriorsHappy HourAnything GoesFinding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeTatertots & Jellocheerios & lattesThirty Handmade DaysOne Creative MommySweet Boutique ; SaturdayBe Different Act NormalA Bouquet of TalentTutus & Tea PartiesSix Sisters StuffSew Country ChickDIY ShowoffPositively Splendid , Nifty Thrifty ThingsYoung & CraftyPolkadot PrettiesOr So She SaysBowdabraFlamingo Toes}

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so clever...Great printer, they do look dimensional like the original!!!

Donna Wilkes said...

I do handmade cards for each holiday for a group of 15 friends and family. For the Fourth this year, I decided to scan the original and send the copies (suitably personalized!) You would have thought the world had come to an end from the complaints. So it is back to each person getting their own creation, but thanks for supporting my need for speed and using the scanner!

Tonya said...

I love this idea. It takes me forever to design an original! I am going to use this idea for sure! Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea!! Love your blog!

Crafts a la Mode said...

I love these. I'm pinning them. I love the sewing on paper. I do that also. Very fun. Happy thanksgiving. Linda
Would love it if you or your followers would link up a handmade ornament (this card qualifies - what's nicer than a Christmas card on a christmas tree?) at my Ornament Party!
http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/2012/11/christmas-ornament-party.html

My Dream Canvas said...

This looks great. Very clever :)Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones! I would love for you to visit me and see the centerpiece at my Thanksgiving table I am visiting you from Savvy Southern Style!

Robyn said...

Those cards are lovely! I wish I had the patience to do the little details like that. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog!

Lisa said...

So beautiful! I love the handcrafted cards.