Skull Desk Accessory Tutorial


She's a genius ~ a "sharpie," if you will.  
If you need a funky accessory to hold your Sharpies and other craft supplies, this golden skull desk accessory qualifies!



As part of Skull Surgery Makeover week, let's take a look at how to transform this Dollar Store skull...


...into a small work of desk art!
  



Start with a plain plastic skull. You can spray paint it if you wish, but first...

...let's have Dr. Graves perform skull surgery. 
She'll show you with a painted skull so everything shows up better, but you will want to wait and paint your skull at the end.


On your surgical tray you will need a drill, a file, safety glasses, and some sandpaper.



Put on your safety glasses and scrub in: it's time for surgery! Drill holes in the plastic skull using a bit the size to accommodate Sharpies or other items. You can mark them out and space them evenly, or just drill random holes.



The drill may leave spurs or rough spots, so use a file to smooth those out. A little bit of sanding on the top will make everything safe, smooth and oh-so-swank!



Spray paint your skulls in the color you desire. 
Gold is quite nice.
If you'd like your skull to have some heft and hold your supplies securely, put some pie weights or sift some sand in through the holes.



Then fill with items of your choice. 
I wanted one for Sharpies...



A pencil holder would make a lovely gift for a coworker, a student, or as a teacher appreciation gift...



I wanted one for my paint brushes, too!

What would you use yours for?




I've been putting my skull desk accessory to high use this season!

Look Who's Lurking:  "Sugar Skull" Makeover tutorial



Have you meet Dr. Graves at the Creepy Craftorium yet? 
She's quite the creative surgeon.
You really must stop by for the tour...







We're conducting Skull Makeover Surgeries all week 
here at I Gotta Create! 
Make sure to sniff out each project.









Skull Surgery Makeover Week:
Day 1: Welcome to the Creepy Craftorium 
Day 2: Skull Planter Tutorial {great hostess gift}
Day 3: Golden Skull Desk Accessory Tutorial 
{you are here}
Day 4: pause for the Wildly Original Linky Party
Day 5: "Sugar Skull" Makeover tutorial {especially easy for kids}
Day 6: Glowing Skull Night Light ~ Phantastic Photos!
Day 7: Glowing Skull Light Tutorial


{I host a linky party every Wednesday. More info *HERE.*  I'm sharing Skull Desk Accessory Tutorial from Skull Makeover Surgery Week with these fine folks, whose links open on ~ Sunday:  Sew Darned CraftyI Should Be Mopping The FloorMaking Monday MarvelousBrassy AppleCraftomaniacAlderberry HillUnder the Table & DreamingMaking the World Cuter ; MondaySkip to my LouCherished BlissSugar Bee Crafts ; TuesdayNot Just a HousewifeElizabeth & Co., The DIY DreamerTip Junkie's Tip Me TuesdaySavvy Southern StyleWhat we Wore & MadeUncommonGingersnap CraftsThe NY Melrose FamilyToday's Creative Blog ; WednesdayI Gotta Create! ,  All Star Block PartyThe 36th AvenueLive-Laugh-RoweHandy Man Crafty WomanThe Trendy Treehouse ; ThursdayScissors & SpatulasMy Repurposed LifeFrugal GirlsShabby Nest,  Romantic HomeFrench County CottageStuff & Nonsense ; FridayFunky Junk InteriorsHappy HourAnything GoesFinding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeTatertots & JelloThirty Handmade DaysOne Creative Mommy ; SaturdayBe Different Act NormalA Bouquet of TalentTutus & Tea PartiesSix Sisters Stuff, Sew Country Chick, DIY ShowoffPositively Splendid , Nifty Thrifty Things}


Join me Wednesdays at 7pm CST for
the Wildly Original Linky Party!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is brilliant! Love it!

The Messy Roost said...

I am always blown away at how many great ideas you have. This is awesome. I am going to make my hubby one for his desk at work. I also have to make the bony fingers -- LOVE THEM. Rhonda

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

Cool idea!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Oh that's funny! Love the markers in it for sure! I might be tempted to drill some smaller holes and put Lolly pops in it for kids, although gummy worms sticking out of it would also be creepy! Fun project! Do you have a license to practice this kind of surgery?

Plastic cards said...

Marvelous..can you tell how much it take time to create such a masterpiece like this...

the cape on the corner said...

another genius piece of work!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

To answer the question about how long this project takes: it is super quick. Takes only a few minutes to drill the holes, a few more to file off any rough spurs, and the longest part is just waiting for the spray paint to dry. You can definitely do it in under an hour, but allow the spray paint to dry according to directions.

Unknown said...

Bahaha... that is awesome. I could see one of those on my desk! Found you through the Trendy Treehouse Linky Party!

Sarah @ Simply Sarah Style said...

So clever and quirky. I love it!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for linking up to our Pretty Things party. Hope to see you back next week!

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

That is AMAZING. Definitely the type of surgery I would happily perform. I'm off to pin it!

Meeha Meeha said...

I love the brush skull so much :)) Very creative work - I like your style and I'm your newest follower on Hello Cotton!

Christine said...

Christina, this is AWESOME!!!! I want some too!!!!!! What a unique way to decorate for Halloween!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

Anne Birdsong said...

Hi Christina, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from the Pinteresting Party.

This is so creepily cute! Great idea. Thanks for sharing!

Anyway, it’s nice to “meet” you! Hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

jacky @ small home love said...

This is just too cool! Are you going to use it year round?

Donovan LaGrange said...

This seriously cracked me up! Gotta do this with my paint brushes! Thanks so much! Http://www.craftinterrupted.com

annies home said...

what a spooky pencil rest a real hole in the head come over and see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

megan {homemade ginger} said...

This is hilarious! so clever. I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party!!

Unknown said...

You are so creative!! This is a brilliant idea, and so fun. Thanks so much for sharing again this week at A Bouquet of Talent. I love seeing your great creative, projects. :)

XOXO