Bird Bath...I mean Spa


During this summer's drought we've been hosts to the new, super-cool hot spot in the neighborhood. A spa in its own right for our feathered friends.



My hubby noticed the birdbath kept running dry in a matter of hours. He'd fill it up on his lunch hour and get home after work to find it empty. Hmmm... Was there a crack in the dish?



Nope. We simply get so many visitors in there splashing and drinking they run the birdbath dry! So hubby rigged up a hose and set it to run every 12 hours. Not good enough...we were still running dry. So he set it to go off every six hours. That seems to be working.

Therefore, we can no longer call this a birdbath. It's a bird spa.






Ok. A wildlife spa.



We're not the only ones doing some bird watching.


I guess we'll have a splash of refreshment, too, while we watch:

*Healthier Fresh Squeezed Lemonade recipe & photos here*


You can catch more of our backyard wildlife *here*

{yes, that's a bobcat! compare with above house cat}



And in celebration of our feathered friends, you might want to check out one of my DiY nest projects:

There's lots of funny business goin' on around here!






Update:

{I host a weekly linky party. Come find out more here!  I'm sharing this Bird Bath...I Mean Spa! with...Monday:  CraftomaniacMaking The World Cuter, The Gunny SackAlderberry HillA Round TuitSkip to My LouCherished BlissTuesday:  Not Just a Housewife, Elizabeth & Co., Nap-Time Creations, The DIY Dreamer, Tip JunkieToday's Creative BlogUncommon, Gingersnap CraftsThe NY Melrose Family; Wednesday:  The 36th Avenue, Live-Laugh-Rowe, Nest of PosiesSavvy Southern StyleSomeday Crafts, The Trendy TreehouseVery Merry Vintage StyleWhat We Wore & Made,SnapThursday: Johnny in a Dress, Bliss Ranch Hot Fun in the Summertime, My Repurposed LifeShabby NestFriday:  Funky Junk InteriorsAnything Goes, Finding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeRomantic HomeFrench Country CottageTatertots and Jello, Thirty Handmade DaysFaith Trust & Pixie DustNaptime Crafters, Too Much Time on my Hands, Stuff & NonsenseOne Creative Mommy; Saturday:  Be Different Act Normal,  It's OverflowingSew Country ChickSunday: Nifty Thrifty Things, DIY Project Parade, Under The Table and DreamingMy 1929 CharmerSew Darned Crafty}

22 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea. I am sure the wild life appreciates it.

We have had rain pretty much every day this summer. (I know.... ) So the birdbath has been replenished by mother nature. Mostly Mocking Birds, Blue Jays, Thrushes, Jenny Wrens and Cardinals left now.
the Blue Birds and finches are all gone....
This week I have seen the BIGGEST Bumble Bees about as well.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful idea . Luv the Bird/ Wildlife Spa :-)
Cheers, Gee

Katalina Jewelry said...

Pampered wildlife! It's good to see you and your husband are taking good care of the neighborhood critters! Love the photo of the squirrel and the inquisitive kitty!

Cath said...

I just love the shot of all the little birds having a bath.
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Love the bird spa pics! Keeping water for all of my wildlife has certainly been important in this heat!

Bliss said...

Keep the camera aimed at the spa, just in case a cougar or deer decide to sit in it.

~Bliss~

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

That is awesome! You have such great photos of your visitors. :) We have noticed more this year than ever before how much the birds have *loved* the fresh cool water in the bird baths. We try to fill it twice a day. They were lining up to use them! lol

Highland Monkey's said...

Lovely photos. Sadly we don't have a need of a spa in our part of Scotland! Although I wouldn;t mind going to one!!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

That's such a good idea! I feel like I'm constantly filling up the birdbath. Thank you for sharing. Visiting fro 1929 Charmer. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live at 8am CST. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Tania Pelletier said...

Love your bird bath (aka spa!)... it's so sweet that they all love it so... even that adorable squirrel! :o)

Tania

Kathy said...

Thank you for all out feathered friends. They need your SPA more than ever with the lack of rain. I wish I could send you some. Thanks for sharing, Kathy

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Love it, in our drought too we've made sure our yard "friends" were taken care of. Even in winter we put a lighted water source out for them. Love you nature friends - so darn cute -that squirrel picture is so cute. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

Rose @ Walnut Acre said...

I love it. We have a bird feeder and bird house but not a bird spa - yet.

Number Fifty-Three said...

I'm your newest follower! I just cannot get enough of your wildlife pictures. We are huge bird fans here. I love the picture of the cat bird watching, too. ;)

Have a great week!

Angela

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

Wow! Great pics! I can never get close enough when the birds are in the birdbaths to take pics like that! The birds sure seem to be enjoying it. The cat too!

Jill said...

Oh the birds and wildlife must just love your garden! Fabulous spa and amazing photos!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous weekend!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

Love the "wildlife spa." Thanks so much for linking up at One Creative Weekend! Enjoy your weekend.

Connie@shabbyforsure said...

Hi, I enjoyed your post. Looks like you are making a lot of animals happy...Connie

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Looks like your backyard is the place to be!

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Wow, so many animals, it must be so interesting! Love the photos!

Lauren said...

Great photos! I love the one of the bird in the middle of fluffing his feathers :)

I would love it if you linked this up at my link party! You can find it here:

http://thewellcraftedhome.blogspot.com/2012/08/well-crafted-wednesdays-18-link-party.html

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

wow! that's ONE busy watering hole!
I too have a difficult time keeping my birdbath full. It gets a lot of use too.
love all the pictures!
gail

F said...

We've been feeling the drought around here too although we got an inch of rain a couple nights ago that took some of the edge off. I think the tomatoes just won't do well.

You've got me all inspired to put in a bird habitat station near the living room window. Although we have a rather fiesty Tom cat and I wonder how effective he'll be at catching the critters that come to it. Hmmm. Perhaps this will be a suspended watering hole.

We'd love to have you participate in our new Eat Make Grow blog hop:

http://foyupdate.blogspot.com/search?q=eat+make+grow&max-results=20&by-date=true

We are always looking for bloggers with great content!

Foy