Party Hat Tutorial!

Make your own #party hats in any theme or paper you desire with this great tutorial! | visit I Gotta Create!


In celebration of I Gotta Create's birthday {hooray!}, here's the "Party Hat Tutorial" for making beautifully colorful party hats!




These are the supplies you'll need. 12x12 paper or card stock is perfect for making these hats. 


These sorts of paper / cardstock packs offer a beautiful, coordinating variety of prints that make for a fun assortment of hats! You'll have plenty left over to make other party supplies, too.

Make your own #party hats in any theme or paper you desire with this great tutorial! | visit I Gotta Create!
Here's how to make Party Hats: 1) take the top two corners of your 12x12 sheet and bring the points together. This automatically forms a cone. 2) It's easiest to hold that cone in this manner to hot glue the seam. 3) Run adhesive or hot glue down the seam. Carefully overlap and press together. 4) You'll have a leftover 'tail,' so draw a line using the short side of the cone as a guide.   

       

Then just trim that excess paper! You'll find it's relatively simple to shape up that bottom rim.  

You can use an adhesive runner down the seam to make this a breeze if you're using 12x12 paper. Use hot glue for card stock, though. I found that the adhesive runners just don't hold up on card stock.


Choose a colorful, coordinating elastic strap to hold the Party Hat on your head. Punch out two reinforcing circles. 


Glue the reinforcing circles to the inside of the hat, and paper punch a hole through both the reinforcer and party hat. {If making paper party hats, you can reinforce the rim at this point. I didn't find it necessary, but it may depend on the age of your party-goers. wink!} String the elastic strap through and knot it on the inside. Repeat on the opposite side. 


The trim and pom poms are made from plastic bags! Cut a strip in whatever width you desire and fringe the edges. 


Adhere the fringe to the outside rim of the party hat with hot glue. Run dots of glue around 1/2 the rim, and count to 3 before carefully placing the plastic trim. This will allow the glue to cool just slightly so it doesn't melt the plastic. Finish other 1/2.


Make your own #party hats in any theme or paper you desire with this great tutorial! | visit I Gotta Create!
You'll find the Pom Pom Tutorial *Here* for topping off your party hats with a flair!


You can really get crazy with these pom poms! Check out my Dandelion project for a laugh!


At your party....



Play Birthday Bingo!





Whip up a silk flower corsage for the person of honor!



How about a twist on the party hat?






I host a linky party. Come on over and join the fun!
I'm sharing the Party Hat tutorial at Monday:  CraftomaniacMaking The World CuterMarvelously MessyProject QueenThe Girl CreativeThe Gunny SackAlderberry HillA Round TuitSkip to My LouCherished Bliss, Northern Cottage; Tuesday:  Not Just a Housewife, Sew CraftyTip JunkieToday's Creative BlogUncommonOopsey DaisyGingersnap CraftsWednesday:  The 36th Avenue, Blue Cricket DesignIt's OverflowingNest of PosiesSavvy Southern StyleSomeday Crafts, The Trendy TreehouseVery Merry Vintage StyleWhat We Wore & Made, Creative InspirationsThursday:  Shabby NestFriday:  Finding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeRomantic HomeTatertots and JelloThe Shady PorchThirty Handmade DaysFaith Trust & Pixie DustNaptime Crafters, Too Much Time on my HandsClassy ClutterStuff & NonsenseCraft Junkie TooSaturday:  Be Different Act NormalFunky Junk InteriorsFrench Country Cottage,  Sisters of the Wild West, Sew Country ChickSunday: Nifty Thrifty ThingsUnder The Table and DreamingMy 1929 Charmer, Sew Darned Crafty

17 comments:

miss flibbertigibbet said...

So cute!
Lorraine

Lindsay Artsy-Fartsy Mama said...

Happy Blog Birthday!! The hats are so cute, thanks for sharing!

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

LOVE your hats! I would love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday and shared your hats with us! Thanks, I hope to see you there! ---Sheryl---
http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=26592

Beth said...

Happy BLOG Birthday!! The hats are cute, and how clever to use plastic bags for the fringe trim!

Lori said...

So colorful and cute. Great job! I'm glad I found your blog at The Shady Porch party. I'm a new follower too, so I can keep in touch. I would love if you stopped by and followed back on LF and GFC. Nice to meet you, Lori

Unknown said...

I recognize those papers! I have that paper pack. :) Cute tutorial!! I'm sharing on my Facebook page. xoxo

Stacey said...

Adorable! Love the colors - so fun!
I would love if you came by to link this up to my party happening now! I would love to have you there!
Stacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love these hats and great timing as my baby is 3 on Saturday

Jill said...

Happy Bloggy birthday! Great hats!



Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Jennifer said...

I'll be making my own party hats for my daughter's second birthday this summer. Thanks for the tutorial :)

Christine said...

BEAUTIFUL Party hats!!!! Love the bright colors!

Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

Claire @ Gemini Nutrition said...

Love your project!!!
I currently have a Craft, Create and Inspire linky party going on, i would love you to stop by and link up this project...
http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-inspire-linky-party_21.html

Claire x

Becca said...

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I have been searching all day for a way to make a party that doesn't include cutting out a template... This I can do!!

Tauni said...

Oh my gosh. What a fun little party hat!!! I love it. The poms are ingenious. Thanks so very much for sharing this over on Show and Tell Wednesday at SNAP!

xoxo
Tauni

CuteEverything.com said...

Very fun and gorgeous papers!

Lindsay Artsy-Fartsy Mama said...

These hats are so adorable!! Love it!

I featured your hats on my blog today, come check it out! :)
http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2012/08/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-birthday.html

Lisa Montsion said...

I love all these birthday hats.

lisa