PomPoms from Plastic Bags Tutorial

BIG Cheers for these fantastic Pom Poms made from the common plastic grocery bag! There are so many fun ways to use them.


Here's one example. Pom Poms are the perfect topper for colorful party hats.  


Use the Pom Pom as a bow for a gift package.

We've all seen this scourge. So let's take that pesky plastic grocery bag and transform it...

...into a small treasure. Pin It


Ahhh... I hear Mother Nature saying, "Thank You!" 


Here's how to make pom poms from plastic grocery bags...
The only tool you need is scissors. I experimented with tying my Pom Pom with jute, but I actually prefer using a strip of the plastic bag. That way the whole thing recycles when you're done using it!

Fold the bag so that the sides are tucked in and it lays nice and flat. Then, fold it into thirds lengthwise. {pardon the change from green to white; i did a lot of experimenting}


Cut off the sealed bottom and the handles up top. Now, fold this strip in half...


...and then in half again. You can thread a twisted length of plastic bag as a "string" through the center of the folded top as pictured. You will use this to gather the pom pom later. Notice at the bottom one flap will have a fold while the other side has raw edges. Just snip along that bottom fold so that all the bottom edges are raw.


Now begin snipping from the bottom toward the folded top, leaving about 1/4 inch. Don't snip through the top fold! When you're done, it looks like a 'fringe.' 


Now you are ready to gather your plastic fringe into a pom pom.  Take that 'string' along the fold and tie it loosely. Slowly pull it tighter and tighter to 'gather' the fringe. Tie it into a knot. {If you have trouble with the plastic 'string' breaking, braid it to make it sturdy.}


You will have funky, spidery looking thing {left}. The plastic bag develops some static and the fringe will stick together until you work it with your fingers to get it all fluffed up {right}.

Want buttons like this? Click HERE
Social Media Button Installing? Tutorial here

You can see how fluffy they get!  Pin It


Here's a fun an crazy way to use the pom-poms! You've gotta check out my Dandelion project *here*


The Pom Poms make adorable party hat toppers.  Want to know how to make these colorful Party Hats? The Party Hat Tutorial is *here*!


Pom Poms make wonderful gift bows, too! You can find more powder-embossed gift boxes and a tutorial *here.*


Because the entire Pom Pom is just a plastic bag, you can easily recycle when you're finished!  It was my New Year's resolution to bring you fabulous R3 projects. You can find out more about R3 and get these free printable gift tags *here.*



R3: Recycle, Reuse, Repurpose. With Love.












If you're new here, I welcome you to I Gotta Create!  I'd love for you to subscribe or follow, and I'd love to hear from you. You can follow me on Facebook and on Pinterest, too. 







I'm Making A Splash by sharing my Pom Pom gift bow sneak peak with Steph over at Crafting in the Rain. Check it out! 





I host a linky party. For the most current party info, *Click Here.*  
I'm sharing the party hat parade at:  Monday:  CraftomaniacMaking The World CuterMarvelously MessyProject QueenThe Girl CreativeThe Gunny SackAlderberry HillA Round TuitSkip to My Lou,Cherished Bliss, Northern Cottage; Tuesday:  Not Just a Housewife, Sew CraftyTip JunkieToday's Creative Blog, Trash to TreasureUncommonOopsey DaisyGingersnap CraftsWednesday:  The 36th Avenue, Blue Cricket DesignIt's OverflowingNest of PosiesSavvy Southern StyleSomeday Crafts, The Trendy TreehouseVery Merry Vintage StyleWhat We Wore & MadeThursday: Shabby NestFriday:  Finding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeRomantic HomeTatertots and JelloThe Shady PorchThirty Handmade DaysFaith Trust & Pixie DustNaptime CraftersToo Much Time on my HandsClassy ClutterStuff & NonsenseCraft Junkie TooSaturday:  Be Different Act NormalFunky Junk InteriorsFrench Country Cottage,  Sisters of the Wild West, Sew Country ChickSunday: Nifty Thrifty ThingsUnder The Table and DreamingMy 1929 CharmerSew Darned Crafty; Other Centsational Girl
Q: How would you use these Pom Poms?

23 comments:

Unknown said...

So cool...I love how it looks on the gift.

You could make cheer leading pom poms out of these!

Stephanie said...

Really cute, and yeah--lots of possibilities. They'd be cool as a a garland!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Good thinking and creatively done! I wonder how the bags would look rolled up and glued into fat rosettes? Gotta try it now.

Bliss said...

Those are some of the cutest party hats I've seen. Makes me want to keep all my plastic bags just in case I have to make some. I keep saying about blogland, pretty soon I won't be able to get rid of anything, and sure enough now I've gotta hang on to the bags!

~Bliss~

Kammy's Korner said...

Totally brilliant!!! You are so creative. I know you have a lot of parties already on your list but I'd love for you to share this over at Trash 2 Treasure Tuesdays on Kammy's Korner!

Jessica said...

I love this! What a great way to upcycle! I'm going to have to try this. Would you share with my readers? http://www.clipwithpurpose.com/clothespin-doll-made-for-you-monday-link-up-4/

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

This is such a great, green idea! I love it on giftwrap. Pinning this! I am a new FB fan visiting from Project Queen. Vicky from Mess For Less

cathy@my1929charmer said...

So cool, and I just love it. What a great way to get those nasty bags out of our landfills. They also look great on a package, who would of know. So cute! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best Par.tay

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I LOVE the idea of using the pompoms for gift wrap--SUCH a great idea! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

I love the pom idea! Very creative. Your newest follower...Megan

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

How clever and thrifty and CUTE!!! Thank you for sharing at Uncommon!

Bonnie :)

Jessa said...

Great idea! I have so many Ideas for this!

Seaweed and Raine said...

I usually use my plastic bags (when I get them, as I use the sustainable shopping bags too) for lining my rubbish bin, but I think a few might have to go the way of that present topper of yours. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the pom poms, very good tutorial too - thanks! I liked them on the hats, very fun!!

Unknown said...

how fun & creative!

KimMalk said...

What a great idea! I'm going to have to remember this, Christina--the kids will love it.

Jess said...

Cool! I think I'll be decorating our next party with these. Thanks for the tutorial!

Tracy said...

HI Christina - I {{love}} it! I have it featured on my FB page today….https://www.facebook.com/pages/Craft-Junkie-Too/162946417058976
Thanks for sharing this creative idea at Craft Junkie Too.
big hugs!
Tracy

Mami Made It said...

Great tutorial!

Anonymous said...

My daughter is constantly dancing, cheering, and the like.. I can see a thousand and one uses for these! I am excited to try these with her :)

very merry vintage style said...

How cute are those little hats? Love this idea--what a great way to repurpose plastic bags. Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary

Miss Kitty said...

this is a great idea...I am pinning it. I saw your post over at last week's party at "My Romantic Home" (still browsing).

Dixie n Dottie said...

Super creative! Well done! :)
http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/