Fantastically Beautiful Snow Globes


Make a gorgeous snow globe that is different from the rest! Create a winter wonderland scene that will enchant you all season long.

Let's look at all the elements that take this snow globe up a notch....


The globe is made from what had been a candle... like this:



Inside, place a colorful vintage image printed on sturdy, glossy paper. Also print a mirror image so they can be glued back-to-back, allowing the globe to be viewed from any angle.


Notice the image is edged in gold pen.
Cut a small mound of styrofoam from a ball and glue it to the jar lid. Cut a slit in the styrofoam to place the image. Stud the styrofoam with baubles to make a fantastical winter landscape.


I also added...

silica beads leftover from a shoe box. I figured this might help keep things dry so the image doesn't warp, and the beads add to the landscape.

Keep adding beads, cotton, and ephemera to the styrofoam mound until you are satisfied.  
Beaded trim drips icicle-like around the entire rim.



A glass candle holder creates an elegant leg for the globe.

It's a Winter Wonderland!

Let it snow!



Speaking of snow....
Sequined Snowball Ornament

While we're at it, let's make some silvery, frosty tree ornaments. So beautiful, easy and uses a very inexpensive material...

Aluminum Foil.  Shhhh!

Let's link up!
Join the party *here*


More unusual ways to use vintage photos:

Check out The Best of 2012!


{I host a linky party every Wednesday. More info *HERE.*  I'm sharing Fantastically Beautiful Snow Globes with these fine folks, whose links open on ~ Sunday:  Sew Darned CraftyShaken TogetherIt's Party TimeTwigg StudiosI Should Be Mopping The FloorMaking Monday MarvelousBrassy AppleCraftomaniacAlderberry HillSew Can DoUnder the Table & DreamingMaking the World Cuter ; MondaySkip to my LouWhats In the Gunny Sack, Cowgirl Up!, Rustic PigCherished BlissSugar Bee CraftsTip Junkie's Tip Me TuesdaySalt TreeTuesdayThe Winthrop ChroniclesNot Just a HousewifeCarolyn's HomeworkElizabeth & Co., Lil' LunaThe DIY Dreamer,  Savvy Southern StyleWhat we Wore & MadeUncommonGingersnap CraftsThe NY Melrose FamilyToday's Creative Blog ; WednesdayI Gotta Create!Stone Gable, Southern Lovely, Creations by KaraAll Star Block PartyThe 36th AvenueLive-Laugh-RoweHandy Man Crafty WomanThe Shabby Creek CottageBlissful WhitesThe Trendy Treehouse ; ThursdayAt the Picket Fence540 MainCraftionaryMy Repurposed LifeFrugal GirlsShabby Nest,  Romantic HomeFrench County CottageStuff & Nonsense ; FridaySerenity NowFunky Junk InteriorsHappy HourAnything GoesFinding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeTatertots & Jellocheerios & lattesFive Days Five WaysShabby Art BoutiqueThirty Handmade DaysOne Creative MommySweet Boutique ; SaturdayBe Different Act NormalA Bouquet of TalentTutus & Tea PartiesSix Sisters StuffSew Country ChickDIY ShowoffPositively Splendid , Nifty Thrifty ThingsYoung & CraftyPolkadot PrettiesOr So She SaysBowdabraFlamingo Toes Seasonal: A Crafty Christmas LinkupChristmas Inspirations

32 comments:

Leslie Harris said...

Christina this is adorable and you've inspired me to make my first snow globe!
Leslie (aka Gwen Moss)

Maureen Wyatt said...

That snow globe is so awesomely different that I have to pin it! Thanks.

Katalina Jewelry said...

Love that your snow globe sits on a glass pedestal...makes it seem even more elegant! Great idea to add the silica gel beads!

Tee said...

I made my 1st 6 snowglobes this year. Though I think they're pretty nice, yours just blew mine out of the water. Hmmm, maybe my customers saw yours first, lol. I haven't sold any of them yet so maybe I'll just jazzzzz them.

Could you possible share that image? I've got at least 1000 but you've got the perfect ONE.

Tee
teemail314@yahoo.com

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Gorgeous! And you certainly did take it up a notch!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Christina,
What a great idea! I love the personalized globe. I will be trying this one. Thanks for the inspiration.

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

That is so adorable. I love that they are personalized. how much fun!

Lisa@hooplapalooza said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! Love it when i see something different! Awesome job Christina! :)

Audrey said...

You are so creative. Love the snow globe, gotta try this with some of my little snowmen. Thanks for sharing.
Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
Timeless Treasures

Suzy said...

This is just adorable and so creative, Christina!

Unknown said...

Oh, my. This is beautiful! I'll have to give this a go myself.

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

I absolutely adore that snow globe! How sweet! I hope I have materials on hand because I want to go make one right now! Ok, maybe I'll wait til morning :) I found your blog through Alderberry Hill's linky party. I'll be following from now on as I love to create new things! Fedel free to visit me at pinkcherubmoon.blogspot.com Hugs, Leena

Feral Turtle said...

What a pretty snow-globe you've created! I love the pedestal. Great idea! Visiting from Trendy Treehouse Linky Party.

Unknown said...

This is goreous Christina!! So vintage and sparkly, love it

xoxo, Tanya
twelveOeight

Vanessa said...

Very elegant! I love the beads hanging down from it.

Crystal said...

So gorgeous! I think there is nothing better than a snow globe. Yours is awesome!

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Your snow globe is pretty and definitely a notch up!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

What a great project--it is so perfect! I love personalized things. Love it!

Unknown said...

You are so creative!! Your globe is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing again this week at A Bouquet of Talent. Have a wonderful weekend. :)

Unknown said...

Very beautiful, I love this idea!

Kerstie said...

Adorable snow globe.

Adorned From Above said...

Christina,
These are so cute. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/12/fabric-covered-can-pen-and-pencil.html
Debi @ Adorned From Above

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Just beautiful!

Cassie Bustamante said...

i adore this idea!!! i want to find old pictures of my parents and do this for them next christmas!

Jennifer said...

Love it! Very unique! Thanks for sharing at Show & Share, featuring this tomorrow!

Susie Buetow said...

Your wonderful project is one of our top features this week in our Bowdabra Feature Friday! Congrats!

Thanks for linking up. Here is your feature http://bowdabrablog.com/2012/12/14/feature-friday-bowdabra-top-crafty-showcase-picks-27/

We hope to see you again this weekend for the Saturday Showcase! Have a great weekend!
Susie at Bowdabra

ps...grab the feature button!

Suzy said...

Christina - I saw and commented on these before, but I'm happy to tell you again how clever you are! Thank you for linking up to the Better Late Than Never Christmas Inspirations bloghop.

Unknown said...

Hi Christina! I found this project from the Homework link party. I absolutely love it! The photo is such a cute/creative addition. Great work. I am now following you and am so excited to see all your future posts! -Meg, www.megs-mess.com

Debbie @ MeandMyDIY said...

Hi Christina, I'm a new visitor and I LOVE this project! What a great idea to print the picture out mirrored, so you can see it from both sides. I also love that you added the silicon beads. And the rest is just beautiful. Great job!

Debbie

JoAnn SweetPepperRose said...

Hi Christina! such a great use of an empty candle jar! love the upcycle.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Oh this is just fantastic!! I am pinning this and think I will create something for Valentine's Day with this idea -- will be sure to link back to you for ultimate inspiration credit!!

Pamela Gordon said...

This is a sweet snow globe idea. I'm going to save my candle jars now. Thanks!