Floating Fairy Card Tutorial


Pin It
Whether for Valentines or other occasions, for cards that will have them floating on sunshine recycle some of the plastic packaging that surrounds us daily. Stick with me to see how this card turns out!


Have you heard about the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch" of plastic swirling in our oceans?  


We currently only recycle 7 percent of the plastic produced. 


And we produce enough plastic yearly to be the equivalent weight of the 7 billion people on earth. 


Scandalous!




So let's reuse some packaging to make a sweet little card. Take some plastic packaging and cut it down to size. use your ruler and a bone folder to score a line down the center for the fold. It will fold nicely and hold it's shape well.


The bonus about using plastic is having 4 transparent surfaces. This creates lots of opportunity for dimension and depth. Start by putting your main image on the inside flap. Here we have a fairy and a few star sequins.


On the outside front flap, add a flower with a rhinestone brad. Trim the edge of the card by tying on some fun yarn.


Now on the very back flap, you'll want to adhere your background. Right now I haven't done that and you can see the back of the fairy, who is glued to the inside flap.


If we currently only recycle 7% of plastic what happens to the rest? It {93%} goes in landfills, rivers, streams, and eventually the ocean. Along the way it breaks into confetti-like pieces nearly impossible to clean up. It is mistaken for food by wildlife. The plastic fills their bellies so they can't eat, and they die. Millions of sea creatures are killed each year.


So repurposing is a gift within a gift. Back to our card tutorial: here it is with the background. I layered some inked newspaper {more recycling!} with a background paper. Adhere it with a bit of hot glue. The fairy image covers up where it's glued.
Ta-da!!! Isn't the final card so cute?   Pin It



send a special delivery with



I believe in positive action. 
I believe when we know better, we do better. 
So let's have fun raising awareness and repurposing the trash around us. And what we don't repurpose, let's recycle. 


You can write your message on the back of your fabulously up-cycled, transparent card!


  Take 1.5 minutes and be moved by this awesome clip!


Check out The Best of 2012!

Come check out my PAPERLESS gift wrapping 
tutorial and these free gift tags promoting R3
I try to avoid what I can in terms of packaging, but honestly it is nearly impossible. So... R3 with me!! 


Recycle. Reuse. Repurpose. {With Love.}



You may have curbside recycling in your hometown. If not, find your nearest recycling center with these resources:


ocean &plastic info from: http://www.pbs.org; www.voanews.com

I'm sharing the Floating Fairy Card Tutorial at these places:
 Monday:  CraftomaniacMaking The World CuterMarvelously MessyProject QueenThe Girl CreativeThe Gunny SackAlderberry HillA Round TuitSkip to My Lou,Cherished BlissTuesday:  Sew CraftyTip JunkieToday's Creative BlogUncommonOopsey DaisyGingersnap CraftsWednesday:  The 36th Avenue, Blue Cricket DesignIt's OverflowingNest of PosiesSavvy Southern StyleSomeday Crafts, The Trendy TreehouseVery Merry Vintage StyleWhat We Wore & MadeThursday:  Shabby NestFriday:  Finding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeRomantic HomeTatertots and JelloThe Shady PorchThirty Handmade DaysFaith Trust & Pixie DustToo Much Time on my HandsCraft Junkie TooSaturday:  Be Different Act NormalFunky Junk InteriorsFrench Country CottageI Can't Stop CraftingSew Country ChickSunday: Nifty Thrifty ThingsUnder The Table and DreamingMy 1929 CharmerSew Darned Crafty; Seasonal: Lisa's Craft Blog

23 comments:

Katalina Jewelry said...

Christina, I love that card! That is such a great idea!

Jen the CraftinCowgirl said...

What a great idea! Beautiful card, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Great card Christina! I used the plastic from a kit that I purchased at Jenni Bowlin Design. Here is a link if you would like to see it. [It's the frame with my husband and daughter] http://creativepapermyway.blogspot.com/2011/07/second-post.html

Kristina @ ReMadeSimple said...

Great way to reuse plastic! I have a similar idea I tried and wil be sharing soon-thanks for sharing!

Kathi said...

Fabulous card and a great way to repurpose packaging.

Jill said...

What a fantastic idea!! Great way to recycle - and this is a brilliant and thoughtful post! I'm going to promote it for you as it has such a great message!

I also stopped by to let you know that I featured your tinfoil rose tutorial on my round tuit post this week!
Round Tuit 85
Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Toodie said...

Great idea!

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Hi, your picture didn't show up at Sunday's Best, if you resubmit I will delete the one with no picture. Want to see you shine!

Mama Up! said...

That's a very cool idea, especially since around here I am pretty sure the type of plastic you used is not allowed into the recycle bin!

cathy@my1929charmer said...

I recycled quite a bit, everything I can. But never reused plastic, You have given me food for thought. The video was eye opening. Your card is quite beautiful You are always so inspiring. Thanks for sharing you creative inspiration at Sunday's Best party!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Oh my gosh! I love this! I also love your positive message. You have so many great ideas. I'm now following you. THank you!

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

What a cool idea! You really are such a good steward of our resources!

Unknown said...

Super Cute! Thanks so much for linking up!! Just a reminder to register for my giveaway...

Ramsign Giveaway: Porcelain Enamel Sign {up to $99 value}

XO, Aimee

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

what a clever idea!

Nathalie said...

Hi Christina!
I'm so glad I found your blog via "under the table and dreaming"!!
I immediately fell in love with your creations and your style (because it.'s my style too! hehe!:D).
and then I saw the link for a Midway atoll video... and tears came to my eyes... because I knew exactly what I was gonna see in that video. I lived in Midway for 3 years and miss that place so much!! I saw the albatrosses dying because of the plastic they ingested and it always broke my heart! Thank you so much for spreading awareness!!!
I'm gonna start following your blog by e-mail.
x.o
Nathalie
P.S: have you been to Midway?

Jenifer Harrod said...

This is really neat! A card or even it could be a floating frame.
Please come share this at:
www.thezkids.blogspot.com

Monica said...

What an awesome way to upcycle that old plastic! I'm definitely going have to use this idea for the hubby's bday card :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful! It really does look like it's floating!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Hi Christina, I actually DO know about the plastic floating on the ocean & I also found out there's more than one huge amount in more than one ocean! So I love recycling plastic AND this adorable project. Thank you so much for linking up to Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust.

Warmly, Michelle

dimitra said...

Very beautiful things and great ideas. I'm would be happy to meet you also in HappyLittleDots.blogspot.com!
Kisses from Greece!

Kei said...

Really fantastic idea to recylce some of that plastic!
The lack of plastic recycling (and recycling in general) irks me a little; a friend of mine worked for the council waste department once and tells me there's only a few types of plastic that are economically feasible to recycle...if so then it'd be nice if companies used recyclable plastics in their packaging!
In my area, plastic food containers can't be recycled...definitely a problem!
Anyway. My comment is turning rambly (sorry!) so I'll return to the original point: your card looks AWESOME! :)

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Great repurposing!! Perfect for Valentine's Day! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

buggalcrafts said...

Nicely done! I have started saving most of the packaging - plastic bags, cardboard, envelopes, etc. to re-use when sending out the things I give away on Listia.com. This is great it that it will give me a use for that heavy plastic I haven't been able to think of a use for. THANKS!

#13 Lisa's Linky
buggalcrafts