Floating Fairy Card Tutorial


Pin It
Whether for Valentines or other occasions, for cards that will have them floating on sunshine recycle some of the plastic packaging that surrounds us daily. Stick with me to see how this card turns out!


Have you heard about the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch" of plastic swirling in our oceans?  


We currently only recycle 7 percent of the plastic produced. 


And we produce enough plastic yearly to be the equivalent weight of the 7 billion people on earth. 


Scandalous!




So let's reuse some packaging to make a sweet little card. Take some plastic packaging and cut it down to size. use your ruler and a bone folder to score a line down the center for the fold. It will fold nicely and hold it's shape well.


The bonus about using plastic is having 4 transparent surfaces. This creates lots of opportunity for dimension and depth. Start by putting your main image on the inside flap. Here we have a fairy and a few star sequins.


On the outside front flap, add a flower with a rhinestone brad. Trim the edge of the card by tying on some fun yarn.


Now on the very back flap, you'll want to adhere your background. Right now I haven't done that and you can see the back of the fairy, who is glued to the inside flap.


If we currently only recycle 7% of plastic what happens to the rest? It {93%} goes in landfills, rivers, streams, and eventually the ocean. Along the way it breaks into confetti-like pieces nearly impossible to clean up. It is mistaken for food by wildlife. The plastic fills their bellies so they can't eat, and they die. Millions of sea creatures are killed each year.


So repurposing is a gift within a gift. Back to our card tutorial: here it is with the background. I layered some inked newspaper {more recycling!} with a background paper. Adhere it with a bit of hot glue. The fairy image covers up where it's glued.
Ta-da!!! Isn't the final card so cute?   Pin It



send a special delivery with



I believe in positive action. 
I believe when we know better, we do better. 
So let's have fun raising awareness and repurposing the trash around us. And what we don't repurpose, let's recycle. 


You can write your message on the back of your fabulously up-cycled, transparent card!


  Take 1.5 minutes and be moved by this awesome clip!


Check out The Best of 2012!

Come check out my PAPERLESS gift wrapping 
tutorial and these free gift tags promoting R3
I try to avoid what I can in terms of packaging, but honestly it is nearly impossible. So... R3 with me!! 


Recycle. Reuse. Repurpose. {With Love.}



You may have curbside recycling in your hometown. If not, find your nearest recycling center with these resources:


ocean &plastic info from: http://www.pbs.org; www.voanews.com

I'm sharing the Floating Fairy Card Tutorial at these places:
 Monday:  CraftomaniacMaking The World CuterMarvelously MessyProject QueenThe Girl CreativeThe Gunny SackAlderberry HillA Round TuitSkip to My Lou,Cherished BlissTuesday:  Sew CraftyTip JunkieToday's Creative BlogUncommonOopsey DaisyGingersnap CraftsWednesday:  The 36th Avenue, Blue Cricket DesignIt's OverflowingNest of PosiesSavvy Southern StyleSomeday Crafts, The Trendy TreehouseVery Merry Vintage StyleWhat We Wore & MadeThursday:  Shabby NestFriday:  Finding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeRomantic HomeTatertots and JelloThe Shady PorchThirty Handmade DaysFaith Trust & Pixie DustToo Much Time on my HandsCraft Junkie TooSaturday:  Be Different Act NormalFunky Junk InteriorsFrench Country CottageI Can't Stop CraftingSew Country ChickSunday: Nifty Thrifty ThingsUnder The Table and DreamingMy 1929 CharmerSew Darned Crafty; Seasonal: Lisa's Craft Blog

Post a Comment