Make Your Own Simple Syrup


Be sweet and be healthier. Americans eat too much sugar.  Many store-bought drinks are designed to make you crave more so you'll buy more. 



You can take back your palate and moderate your own sugar consumption with this super-easy recipe for Simple Syrup.




I learned how to make Simple Syrup as a teen working in our local burger joint. Our lemonade and limeades were fresh squeezed and made with Simple Syrup which dissolves easily into cold drinks, unlike a teaspoon of regular sugar. And just like its name implies, Simple Syrup is quick and easy to make:




Simple Sugar:

  • Bring 1 Cup of water to boil in a quart pot.
  • Add 1 Cup of sugar.
  • Turn off burner and stir until sugar is dissolved.
  • Remove from heat. Let cool. Pour into a container. 



I like these little syrup containers:



 You can make the recipe as large as you need. Just keep the water to sugar ratio 1:1. Turn off the burner soon after you've added the sugar to prevent the syrup from 'cooking' too thick. The longer you cook it, the thicker it gets.




Add Simple Syrup to fresh squeezed lemons, limes, or to any drink that needs a little sweetening. Experiment with adding less and less sugar to your drinks and your tastebuds will adapt and still be pleased. 




Everyone likes a sweet treat ~ but it's best in moderation. Summer is a great time to build the habit of drinking water. You can flavor it with fruit, make lemonade, or explore other beverages besides soda. It's reported that people who drink soda generally have reduced bone mass. 



With obesity and Type 2 Diabetes rising in all age groups, setting healthier habits pays off now and in the future for ourselves and children








Make your own Fresh Squeezed Lemonade 
with Simple Syrup!








{I host a linky party every Wednesday and you can find more info *HERE.*  
Plus, I party at these fine places, whose party links open on:  Sunday: Sew Darned Crafty, Monday FundayIt's Party Time, I Should Be Mopping the Floor,  Craft-O-Maniac, Alderberry Hill, Sew Can Do, Keeping it Simple, Under The Table  Dreaming, Making The World Cuter;  Monday: Skip to My Lou, What's in the Gunny Sack, Cowgirl Up!, Rustic Pig, Knock Our Socks Off, Adventures of a DiY Mom, Sugar Bee Crafts, Tip Junkie's Tip Me Tuesday, Salt Tree;  Tuesday: The Winthrop Chronicles, Not Just a Housewife, Carolyn's Homework, Hope Studios, Love Bakes Good Cakes, Elizabeth & Co., Lil' Luna, The DIY Dreamer, Rae Gun Ramblings, Gingersnap Crafts, Whimsy Wednesday, Today's Creative Blog;  Wednesday: I Gotta Create!, Polkadots on Parade, Stone Gable, Southern Lovely, Live-Laugh-Rowe, The Shabby Creek Cottage, The Trendy Treehouse; Thursday: The 36th Avenue, Bloom Designs, Jennifer Rizzo , 540 Main, Frugal Girls, French Country Cottage, Inspiration Gallery, My Simple Home Life, My Repurposed Life, My Romantic Home, Shabby Nest;  Friday: Anything Goes, Shaken Together, Serenity Now,  A Night Owl, Cheerios & Lattes, Practically Functional, Five Days Five Ways, One Creative Mommy, Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots & Jello, Six Sisters Stuff, Shabby Art Boutique, Finding Fabulous, Thirty Handmade Days;  Saturday: Twigg Studios, Be Different Act Normal, A Bouquet of Talent, Tutus & Tea Parties, Or So She Says, Bowdabra, Flamingo Toes, DIY Showoff, Nifty Thrifty Things

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love when I go to a restaurant and they have simple syrup! I am going to make some - I like sweet tea, but I always feel bad when a guest is an unsweet drinker and I have sweetened the whole pitcher! Now we can have it without sugar sludge in the bottom.

Adorned From Above said...

Love this idea for simple syrup. Also good information. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

Raquel said...

Great idea to make ahead simple syrup! I am going to do this ;)

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea

Beja {Howdy-Honey} said...

Thanks for sharing! I have been WONDERING what simple syrup was for. I kept seeing the name different places and kept thinking it was a Starbucks product! HAHA!

Theresa said...

We love iced coffee over here! I make the hubby a travel mug before he leaves for work. I just hate the sugar granules. I am going to make some of this! Thanks for posting.

The Prudent Pantry said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I had no idea that this was the secret. Can't wait to try it when I make some lemonade.

I would love it if you would share this at the Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/prudent-projects-and-smart-solutions_27.html

Have a great day!

Sara said...

I haven't heard of this,but I am definitely lured in now!!! Such a fabulous message you have written about. Your taste buds do adapt----our bodies are amazing creations aren't they?! Sugar is really like a drug and I really hope that the media starts recognizing that a little more in the future. It is definitely an ongoing battle unfortunately. So I am very happy to see your post
:)

My Dream Canvas said...

Great idea. I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods. It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu