Star of Wonder Burlap Bags



Rustic, simple, sweet, and festive in burlap, glitter, buttons and bows, these little gift bags could also double as ornaments for the holiday.



You can whip them up in no time with your scrap strips of burlap, using buttons and ribbon you have on hand. I liked varying the colors.


Start with the detail. Simply punch an oval out of card stock, and a star out of newspaper. Dab some glue and glitter on the star and adhere it to the card stock. For a rustic, old-fashioned look, use a zigzag stitch with black thread. I love how this almost looks like a leather patch on the burlap.


Sew up the sides with the same zigzag stitch, leaving the top open. If you use a narrow ribbon, you can weave it through the burlap around the 'neck' of the bag to draw it together. Then, just thread the ribbon through a coordinating button. 


Finish the ribbon ends with whatever beads you have on hand. This way, when you open the bag, you won't lose your button. I <3 these lustrous beads!


This ribbon is tied off with sweet, miniature jingle bells!  Insert a little gift {soaps, candles, lotion, etc.} into the bag, garnish with a candy cane, and draw your ribbon into a bow. These bags are great for hostess gifts, office parties, or...


...you can simply stuff them and hang them on the tree!







Share your creations. 
Party with the Wildly Original Crowd now! 

LINKING UP WITH:
CHRISTMAS IN JULY! 

{I host a linky party every Wednesday. More info *HERE.*  I'm sharing Star of Wonder Burlap Gift Bags with these fine folks, whose links open on ~ Sunday:  Sew Darned CraftyShaken TogetherIt's Party TimeTwigg StudiosI Should Be Mopping The FloorMaking Monday MarvelousBrassy AppleCraftomaniacAlderberry HillUnder the Table & DreamingMaking the World Cuter ; MondaySkip to my LouCowgirl Up!, Rustic PigCherished BlissSugar Bee CraftsTip Junkie's Tip Me TuesdaySalt TreeTuesdayThe Winthrop ChroniclesNot Just a HousewifeCarolyn's HomeworkElizabeth & Co., The DIY Dreamer,  Savvy Southern StyleWhat we Wore & MadeUncommonGingersnap CraftsThe NY Melrose FamilyToday's Creative Blog ; WednesdayI Gotta Create!Southern Lovely, Stone GableCreations by KaraAll Star Block PartyThe 36th AvenueLive-Laugh-RoweHandy Man Crafty WomanThe Trendy Treehouse ; ThursdayAt the Picket Fence540 MainCraftionaryMy Repurposed LifeFrugal GirlsShabby Nest,  Romantic HomeFrench County CottageStuff & Nonsense ; FridaySerenity NowFunky Junk InteriorsHappy HourAnything GoesFinding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeTatertots & Jellocheerios & lattesFive Days Five WaysShabby Art BoutiqueThirty Handmade DaysOne Creative MommySweet Boutique ; SaturdayBe Different Act NormalA Bouquet of TalentTutus & Tea PartiesSix Sisters StuffSew Country ChickDIY ShowoffPositively Splendid , Nifty Thrifty ThingsYoung & CraftyPolkadot PrettiesOr So She SaysBowdabraFlamingo Toes}

52 comments:

Lori said...

Love your burlap bags! So pretty and fun!

Michelle said...

These are so pretty! I love the rustic Christmas feel when burlap is used! :)

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

This is a really cute idea! Would you like to link it up at Sew & Tell Saturday at my blog SewCountryChick? Thanks!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Cute!! I absolutely love these! I am a big fan of burlap and these are just too cute. Thanks for sharing your idea and how you did it!!

Bonnie @ Uncommon Designs said...

Very cute!!:)

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Very festive!

I'd love it if you could share this over on my Simply Christmas Inspiration Party at http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com/2011/11/inspiration-friday.html

Its So Very Cheri said...

What cute bags.

I would love to have you come on over to itssoverycheri.com for a visit.

Cheri

Jeff N Julie said...

I love these adorable bags! I love that the are just the right size for different options of displaying them! Really fun and beautiful job! Julie (the letter 4.com's mom)

Cindy said...

Great idea! I have some burlap laying around that I could use for this great project. Thanks for sharing!

Cathy @My 1929 Charmer said...

These are too cute. I have a lot of scraps of burlap that I can use for these. Hate throwing anything away. Here's hoping you'll share your project over at Sunday' Best. Sharing is a good thing.

Unknown said...

These are so darling, I love them. I shared them on my COM-FB page. winks, jen

Unknown said...

So cute! Those would make the nicest little gifts or favors! please say you'll share here:

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/shine-on-fridays-3-and-some-fabulous.html

Unknown said...

Cute!!! Very country Christmas!!

Amanda Lee said...

These are so darling!

Carolyn said...

These are so adorable. Rustic and sweet! If you have a moment, I would be thrilled if you shared this on my Inspiration Board {link party}. I know my readers would love it.

http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/11/inspiration-board-link-party-26.html
carolyn - homework

Lynn at Cottage and Creek said...

Love the burlap bags. Perfect for all kinds of treats. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm your newest follower and I hope you pop by Cottage and Creek for a visit.
Lynn

Rhonda @ home.made. said...

These are so great - I will be making these for sure. AND I shared on my FB page - love!

Rhonda @ home.made.

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!! What a great idea. Thank you so much for sharing!! I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
Jamie
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

P.S. More the Merrier Monday ends tonight. Stop by and link up if you have not already.

Sheila said...

Cute, I love 'em. I think I have some left over burlap, looks like I better get to work using it up by making some of these sweet little bags. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a nice way to present a gift!. They really look great :-)

Helena, Craft and Creativity said...

Very pretty gift bags! What a great idea! :) Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. That made me happy!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your burlap bags are so creative and cute!

Dee

Unknown said...

What a great idea-these would be the ultimate loot bags for a birthday party too.

Thanks so much for sharing at our Pin'Inspiration Party.

{Junk in their Trunk} said...

I love burlap and I LOVE these bags!! I would love for you to come share this at our link party...junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/11/link-it-up-wednesday-5.html

Also, we would love to be added to your link party list for Wednesdays!! Thanks!!

Mandy said...

I love your star burlap bags. Of course, I love everything you make!
Thank you for stopping by today and leaving a comment. I'm SO GLAD that sweetie little porcipine cheered you up and made you laugh. THE CUTEST!

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

These are great! I'd love for you to link to my Things I've Done Thursdays link party going on now until Saturday at noon EST.


Melanie
Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/11/things-ive-done-thursday-13-fun.html

Funky Junk Interiors said...

These are precious!!! I just adore the side fringe. So cute!

Donna

Eileen @ Cottage Beach House said...

Awesome bags. you have some great ideas. i'll be following along!

Jenny Hall / Seamingly Smitten said...

What a great idea! I love how burlap is all over right now. Your bags are super trendy!
Jenny
www.seaminglysmitten.com

I'd love if you would check out our Sew Crafty Christmas event and Giveaways!

http://seaminglysmitten.blogspot.com/2011/12/enter-giveaway-set-of-9-fashion.html

http://seaminglysmitten.blogspot.com/2011/12/50-gift-card-to-so-sew-boutique.html

Happy Sewing! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I love these! Will you please link up at my Handmade on Humpday link party over at www.createdbycori.blogspot.com

Shauna K said...

visiting from The Girl Creative linky party- these are so pretty!!! i love how easy they are to make- perfect for any holiday favor, gift, or stocking stuffer :D

Anonymous said...

Those are so stinkin' cute! Pinning them:D Thanks for sharing!

Ruby Jean said...

OH I want one... PLEASE!!! :) these are so CUTE... Be sure to link this up as well http://shoprubyjean.com/2011/12/sew-crafty-tuesday-linky-2-and-highlights/

Unknown said...

Darling! I'm LOVING this! I'm your newest follower and would love for you to visit and share the "love" back! I'm hosting a PARTY, too! I'd love for you to link this and any other fun projects of yours, too!!!

XO,
Aimee from ItsOverflowing.com
Overflowing with Creativity

very merry vintage style said...

These are really cute. Love the candy cand and the glitter! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday! Have a wonderful Christmas!
Mary

My Dream Canvas said...

This looks great..love it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones! I would love for you to visit me and see the centerpiece at my Thanksgiving table I am visiting you from Savvy Southern Style!

Brooke said...

These are so pretty! Great job!

hkhagan said...

Those are cute burlap bags!

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

Adorable, I love them! I would love to receive a gift in a cute bag like that!

Stopping by from Tutus "Pinteresting Party"

Schulz Family said...

Visiting from Sew Darn Crafty link party. Love these. Thanks for sharing

Four Marrs and One Venus said...

What a great idea! Visiting from StoneGable
Nice job!
Jen

Adorned From Above said...

these are beautiful.
Debi

Anonymous said...

Adorable baggies!!!

T'onna
Submarine Sunday Link Party

Unknown said...

Christina these are SO cute! I love the dark stitching against the burlap, fabulous :)

xoxo, Tanya
twelveOeight

Doreen said...

Hi - linked over from Sugar Bee Crafts linky party. I adore your burlap gift bags with all the different elements/embellishments. I love adding "just one more embellishment" to my projects for pretty detailing.

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

What a great idea!! Love your blog ;)

Suzy said...

These are just adorable! Thank you for linking up to the Better Late Than Never Thanksgiving bloghop.

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

These are really cute. I made some burlap bags awhile ago but I like yours better. :) Yours are easier, too.

Unknown said...

These are darling and easy for small gifts. Thanks for sharing.
Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

So cute...I pinned them! Love the button accent with the candy cane!

KC Coake said...

What cute bags! Love!
KC

Claire @ Gemini Nutrition said...

Thank you for linking up at last weeks craft, create and inspire linky party!

Your awesome project is featured this week !!

Hope you will join us again this weekend


Claire x