Bewitched!

Obsession is perhaps too light a word for what happened to me as the inspiration for these pillows took hold!  These enchantresses will help you celebrate Halloween in high style.


It started with one, and quickly became two, then a third demanded to be created. By this time, I had half a coven completed.


Vintage photos had me under a spell and were perfect for this project!


Pretty soon, pumpkins, ravens and pitchforks demanded their familiar place in the lineup.


Q: What's been your latest creative obsession?


Here's how you create these bewitching pillows:
(Be sure to click on the link to see more photos!)

First, print out those lovely vintage photos on fabric sheets that go through the ink jet printer. Two beguiling beauties per sheet will make you a double-sided pillow.
Aren't these photos just gorgeous? Poke around on some of my favorite art resource sites for some that appeal to you. 


Make a template for your witch's hat out of cardstock, and trace it over the fabric you'll be using. My hats are from an old pair of black velour sweats (circa early 1990's--don't laugh). Delicious texture!


Once you've cut out the hat, pin some halloween ribbon to the right side of the fabric to add some detail so that the hat does not become a huge black void.


Sewing the ribbon with a small zig-zag stitch adds some zing!


Now, put the right sides together, and sew the hat together, except for around the bottom.


This is what it should look like when you turn it right side out. The bottom is open. I cut out the hat down by the hem of my recycled sweats, which saved me a sewing step!


Now, tuck your fabric photo under the hat hem so it looks like she is wearing it. Pin it in place and stitch, being careful not to catch the other side in the process. Repeat for the other side of the pillow.


Once you've stitched the hat to the heads on both sides, put the right sides together and stitch down the length of the vintage photos, going through both layers this time. Leave the bottom open so you can stuff the pillow...


...then close the bottom either with a whip stitch or machine sew on some lace and halloween ribbon.


Embellish the hats with flowers, and before you know it, you'll have a whole crop of beguiling beauties to harvest!  At this point, you can Mod Podge the fabric to seal it and preserve the photos. This will give the pillow a crispness and texture. If you look back through these photos, you'll notice the center one has been Mod Podged in matte already. (It did make it more difficult to photograph in the sunlight.) 


This one is Zelda. She's flying out to a loved one as a gift.

See how to use these pillows as ornaments in Halloween decorating *here.*

Come share your spooky and beautiful creations at the linky party *here*

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this!

Nessa the Procrastinator said...

Those are wonderful! You have some talent!
RYC: I think I'm sad that you and I actually know what it feels like to have stuff fall from their cupboards! :) Thanks for the comment!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Thanks, Nessa!

Mandy said...

These pillows are amazing. They are scary and beautiful and whimsical and...I love em!
I'd love it if you linked this up to my Linky Party - www.projectqueen.org

I'm a new follower. Can't wait to see what your next project is!

W said...

These are really neat! Definitely getting me in the mood for fall and Halloween.

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Thank you, Mandy! That is just the mix I was going for. I will definitely check out your site. Thanks for following!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Thank you, Ann. I love fall and Halloween is so much fun!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Those are super cute!!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Love! I'd love for you to link up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Link Party!
www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Mandy said...

Hi Christina, I'm featuring your Bewitching pillows on Tuesday at my link party highlights.
www.projectqueen.org

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Wow!! Thank you Haley, Lindy and Mandy!

Mandy, I'm so honored and I can't wait to see it tomorrow!! I invite you and your followers to come on over and follow me, too! As a new blogger I can use the support as I learn about this great digital community. :)

Marilyn said...

So lovely and creative :)) loving your blog and officially following with smiles per blog hop..I'm Marilyn via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com and I'd love for you to stop in sometime..off to indulge in your posts..:))

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

THANK you so much Marilyn for such sweet words and for becoming a follower. I stopped over and I love your blog header and especially enjoyed your pixels. Being new to this, I'm intrigued to find out more about 'blog hops.'

the cape on the corner said...

oh my gosh, that is hysterical, and also slightly creepy. but they should be, for this time of year. fantastic idea!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad they made someone else laugh, too. I love the mixed emotions that this project evokes :) BTW--your profile description made me giggle, too. :)

very merry vintage style said...

You're featured this week on share the Love Wednesday! Stop by and grab a feature button!
Mary

Maureen Wyatt said...

I'm so glad you are revisiting earlier projects and I'm pinning this one! ~ Maureen