Nature's Hues: Early Fall


Fall will not be outdone by Spring. It dons a wardrobe just as spectacular. It gushes forth a colorful harvest, drawing all of nature's creatures to its vast, bountiful table... 




Some of the costumes are quite exotic.


Almost alien-looking... or like creatures of the deep sea.



This little photographic study of thistles piqued my curiosity. I found that the thistle is an ancient Celtic symbol of nobility. It has been the national symbol of Scotland since the thirteenth century.



The scene from Braveheart in which the little girl Murron gives young William a thistle is deeply touching and highly symbolic. On that soundtrack, the song A Gift of a Thistle is heart wrenching and hauntingly beautiful. I wish it were longer.




I could say the same for Fall.









{I host a weekly linky party. Come find out more here!  I'm sharing Nature's Hues: Early Fall Gift of a Thistle with...MondayCraftomaniacMaking The World Cuter, Alderberry HillProject QueenSkip to My LouCherished BlissTuesday:  Not Just a HousewifeElizabeth & Co., The DIY Dreamer, Tip JunkieToday's Creative Blog, Savvy Southern StyleUncommon, What We Wore & MadeGingersnap CraftsThe NY Melrose Family. ; Wednesday:  The 36th Avenue, Live-Laugh-Rowe, Handy Man Crafty Woman, The Trendy Treehouse,  SnapThursday: Scissors & Spatulas, My Repurposed LifeFrugal GirlsShabby NestFriday:  Funky Junk InteriorsHappy HourAnything Goes, Finding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeRomantic HomeFrench Country CottageTatertots and Jello, Thirty Handmade DaysNaptime Crafters, Stuff & NonsenseOne Creative Mommy; Saturday:  Be Different Act NormalTutus & Tea Parties, Positively Splendid, Sew Country ChickSunday: Nifty Thrifty Things, DIY Project Parade, Under The Table and DreamingMy 1929 CharmerSew Darned CraftySeasonalIt's Fall Y'allFall Frenzy} 

11 comments:

Unknown said...

The Thistle.. such understated beauty.
I wholeheartedly agree.. Fall, not to be outdone by Spring.
have a wonderful weekend Christina.
Cheers, Gee

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Gorgeous pictures. I love plants like this that have a different form and texture. Happy Sunday!

Celtic Thistle said...

My favourite plant! Great photos.

Donna Wilkes said...

I have been trying to grow a thistle for years. Evidently it is too hot in the summer and not cold enough in the winter. I have dragged seeds home with me from all over the place. Maybe one day ...

Lisa said...

Gorgeous photos! Love the color and it still looks very spring-like!

Crystelle said...

I love these photo's
Thistles are so inspiring. So incredibly stunning.
Thistle in French is "Chardon"
Isn't that pretty?
Thanks for sharing your talnet with us bloggy people....

Anonymous said...

I love thistle! There used be some growing at the antique shop where I used to have space. I gathered some up and tried to plant the seeds around my home near the field but I never saw any come up. People said I was crazy because of the stickers on them but I always thought they were so pretty. Your photos of them are gorgeous!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for stopping by our Pretty Things Party. Hope to see you back next week!

Craftberry Bush said...

very pretty ...great photos ! :)

Jaime Lyn said...

Just beautiful!!! :o)
Jaime

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

What a wonderful post and glorious pictures, Christina! I loved the Celtic history of the thistle, and I had forgotten that part of Braveheart, so this was a neat reminder of that.