Western Fringe Popcorn Bag Tutorial

 
Movie nights at home are the best! Shoot the fun factor through the roof with this super cheap and cute idea: faux 'leather' fringed bags for your popcorn. 



They're made from plain, ordinary, everyday lunch sacks...  


enhanced with a little bit of scissor work and bling! Ready to set a fun Wild West party mood?



      

1. Get a pack of ordinary lunch size paper bags. I got 40 for a buck.
2. Fold the top down and simply make a series of quick cuts in the flap with your scissors, stopping about a 1/4 inch from the fold.
3. This is the quickest craft in the West! I whipped out 2 dozen while watching a Big Bang Theory rerun. Decide if you will present these as opened or closed bags {refer to cover photo}. If open, you'll just want to turn the fringe out around the bag. I forgot to take a photo of that, but it's easy...sorta like you're turning the cuff on your sleeve.
4. Use a marker to draw stitches across the top to add a little more detail. {You can even 'scuff up' the fringe with a brown ink pad if you're a stamper-type.}


Just a hint about creating the fringe: A short fold gives you a tall bag, a longer fold gives you a shorter bag for smaller cowpokes. ...Kinda messes with your mind, don't it?


Gotta add a tinfoil star to these wild west faux leather fringed popcorn bags...made, of course, from my 'trademark' tinfoil waffle cloth {click here for the tutorial}.


LOVE this new style of punch that makes it easy to cut through thicker media like my tinfoil waffle cloth. 


Simply glue the star to the bag. If you're wondering how to get the little knobby ends on the stitches, the secret is simple: use a sharpie pen and simply pause at the start and finish of your line, it will pool a little more ink there. How's that for upping the fancy factor just by being lackadaisical? ;)


Mmmmm! Do you pop your corn the old fashioned way, use an air popper, or do you use the microwave variety?


We've discovered that Root Beer goes mighty fine with popcorn! Your cowpokes will love this combo.



You can add these rustic DIY coasters to the party ~ grab that tutorial HERE.

If you want to use this theme for a party, you might want to add these fantastic wild west fringed Sour Cream Party Favors! The tutorial is *here.*



Or make a slightly different version using this party grab bag tutorial.


Whether it's time for a family fun night, a party, or entertaining kids on summer break, spice up the ordinary with this fun, easy theme for just 2 1/2 cents per bag.  Any cowboy or cowgirl will love being treated with these snack bags!




Learn how to make
Easy Paper Snack Bowls!











We're getting wild around here!











{I host a weekly linky party. Come find out more here!  I'm sharing these Faux Leather Fringe Movie Popcorn Bags with...Monday:  CraftomaniacMaking The World CuterProject QueenThe Gunny SackAlderberry HillA Round TuitSkip to My LouCherished BlissTuesday:  Not Just a Housewife, The DIY Dreamer, Tip JunkieToday's Creative BlogUncommon, Gingersnap CraftsThe NY Melrose Family; Wednesday:  The 36th Avenue, Live-Laugh-Rowe, No Minimalist Here, Nest of PosiesSavvy Southern StyleSomeday Crafts, The Trendy TreehouseVery Merry Vintage StyleFamily Home and LifeWhat We Wore & Made,SnapThursday:  My Repurposed Life, Somewhat Simple, Bliss Ranch Hot Fun in the Summertime, Shabby NestFriday:  Funky Junk InteriorsAnything Goes, Finding FabulousMy Simple Home LifeRomantic HomeFrench Country CottageTatertots and Jello, Thirty Handmade DaysFaith Trust & Pixie DustNaptime Crafters, Too Much Time on my Hands, Stuff & NonsenseSaturday:  Be Different Act Normal,  It's OverflowingSisters of the Wild West, Sew Country ChickSunday: Nifty Thrifty Things, DIY Project Parade, Under The Table and DreamingMy 1929 CharmerSew Darned Crafty}

28 comments:

Sandra said...

What a great idea! We watch so many movies, I will
definitely make these. Thank you

Bliss said...

Yup these are a Bliss TDC winner. Too Darn Cute!

~Bliss~

Unknown said...

I love paper bags! Thanks for this great idea!

Toodie said...

What a cute idea! Perfect for parties or western movie night!

Jenn said...

This sounds so easy and it is so cute! Pinned it!

Lissa (Bellenza) said...

Amazing how you've made something so ordinary look so special! Great party idea, too!

Erika said...

These pop corn bags are so clever, very well done, I love them and would try it at home. Great idea, thank you for sharing.

Jill said...

Great idea for those bags Christina! That's really effective!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Christine said...

Christina!!! The bags are FABULOUS!!!!!!!!! REALLY REALLY FABULOUS!!

You are planning on sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality.. right? :)

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Christina, You're a genius! Where were you when my kids were little? I guess I'll have to store this idea and save it for when my kids have grand kids.
Thanks,
Liz

Simply Tasheena said...

This is such a fun idea.

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

I LOVE this idea! I pinned it! I think I'll use it next year for our Rodeo Fest at church! Thanks! Would you come over to Cast Party Wednesday and share this idea with us? Thanks, I hope to see you there! ---Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain---
http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=30929

Christine said...

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! Have a great day! :)

Donna Wilkes said...

I came over from your blog party to see the fringed bag and have gotten so caught up with your past projects like the tinfoil tutorials. I had to pin them so I can come back. Thanks for giving me an excuse to buy a crimper :>)
This Western-theme bag would be cute as a gift bag. Just put a piece of cardboard in the bottom and add some packs of popcorn, a small bag of chips and some salsa. Let me get back to the Round Up!

Distressed Donna Down Home

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

These are so adorable! There you go making crazy cute things out of tin foil again! Love it!

Take care,

Trish

Meg @ Never a Dull Day said...

love brown bag crafts! the fringe makes these fabulous!!

Unknown said...

This is so cute! I love it, what a great idea. Now I want to do this and have a movie night with some root beer floats! You're so clever, thanks for sharing!

Desperate Craftwives said...

What a great idea!
Blythe

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This is a fantastic project! The little bags are super cute!
Would you consider linking this up at my Pinworthy Projects Party? I hope to see you there!

Creative Raisins said...

Oh my gosh How cute is that

Olive said...

So cute!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love it~ so charming and what a great idea!! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

This is a wonderful idea! So cute, and simple. You are a very thorough tutorial writer! I will be sure to be lackadaisical when I use my sharpie to make the stitches. And just so you will know, I prefer the old fashioned popcorn, popped on the stove. Most times I use one of those paper bags like you have, put 1/4 cup of popcorn in it, fold over the edge of the bag twice, put it in the microwave and push the popcorn button. Works every time!
Thanks for linking to our party!

Bliss said...

Christina.... You already know how cute I think these bags are, so just wanted to tell 'ya I'm a bit humbled that you took time out of your day to link to our first party. Thank you.

~Bliss~

Little Miss Maggie said...

Wow, Christina. These bags are adorable. I love your creativity. Thanks for linking up to the Hot Fun in the Summertime Party.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Very sweet popcorn bags! :)

I love how you did them.

gail

Rebecca said...

What a fun party bag. :)

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

So cute! I just pinned this!