Primitive Vintage Christmas Gift Bags

I love the primitive collage look of these holiday gift bags: frayed edges, unfinished seams, rustic elements. Their charm rests in the vintage holiday photos and layers upon layers of fabrics, ribbon, yarn, and thread. 



Use an inkjet printer to print sweet vintage photos onto t-shirt transfer sheets {resource here}, then iron them onto muslin for a rustic effect. All three bags are made of corduroy and feature handles of the softest, thickest, yummiest yarn.

Mother nature was splendid this morning: her ice crystals beckoned to play with these snowy-looking handles. While the corduroy and handles create a theme, each bag is quite unique... Just like the very special people for whom they were made. {<3 you know who you are! <3 }  


This one of girls on the beach with a fishing pole features layers of fabrics that call to mind fishing nets: organza, tulle, burlap, and pink netting. A zigzag stitch in gold thread around the image evokes the sea, as does the blue rick rack and ribbon, along with the dangling shells. 


Frosty elements are brought in with the snowflake-looking blue & beige fabric, the white rickrack and gold stitching, and of course that lovely handle.


Making her list and checking it twice, this little cutie is layered on paisleys, sumptuous velvet, and a bed of rosebuds. I love how the gold thread stitching on that velvet creates such a rich layer. Flowers with button and pearl centers ride a snowy wave of white rickrack.


A quartet of sweethearts wish us a very French happy Christmas. They need a patchwork quilt for that sleigh ride, so I've bundled them up with gingham, felt, paisleys and a satiny burgandy & beige ribbon. Pretty, antique-looking buttons will keep them snug. 


Playing around to choose just the right layout and details was a pleasant labor of love. 


But not everyone has the necessary attention span for the job at hand!


These charming little bags are also a creative alternative to stockings. 


Fill them with sweets, gifts, or a winter pine bouquet. 


Hang them from the mantle, doorknob, or Christmas tree.
They are a gift in and of themselves! <3


{And I just gotta say: I made these long before I ever had a sponsor, but I sure do love June Tailor's fabric sheets that you can put through your inkjet printer for all sorts of projects. AND- Thank you to my friends for allowing me to borrow back these bags for photographing. You're the best!}


You might also like my Star of Wonder Burlap gift bags
Other sewing projects HERE
Other holiday projects HERE
Getting crazy with aluminum foil HERE
{aha! did you see that sneak peek in the first photo? More HERE}


Share your creations. 
Party with the Wildly Original Crowd now!  

10 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh my goodness!!! These are AMAZING Christina!!! I love them!!!! ALLL!!!!

Artsy VaVa said...

Your bags are beautiful and so unique! The bag will be more special than the gift!!!

The Southern Product Queen said...

I'm having a linky party on my blog too! Would love it if you could link up your holiday posts to it! SO cute! Thanks! Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/2011/12/13/linky-party/

PaperVine said...

These are lovely - such a fun and bright idea I love them! You have done an amazing job on these - they just look fabulous!
Visiting from Tip Junkie
Lowri
http://papervinenz.blogspot.com/

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Really lovely, and you did a great job on creating the bags. I'm so happy you finally found your way to Sunday's Best and thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us.

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Hi folks visiting from dephiforums! You've got me curious!!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

I love vintage, so this beautiful project is right up my alley! Thanks for the eye candy.

Warmly, MIchelle

kelly said...

These are beautiful, Christina. I love them. Fantastic Idea.


Kelly

South Bay Studio said...

These are absolutely the cutest gift bags that I have ever seen...
Kathi

Rebecca Scott (aka Otter) said...

These bags are really lovely. I have no doubt your friends loved them. It's always fun to carry around something unique and interesting like these.